When we approach maintaining healthy skin, the question on everyone’s mind is: “What skin care products do I need?”. With several options in the skincare market, it’s essential to select a routine that addresses your specific needs.
There is much to learn to answer the main question of this article: “What skin care products do I need?”. So, let’s dive into the world of skincare and explore the products that you should include in your routine.
- Cleanser: when you consider what skin care products you need, a gentle cleanser is the key for removing dirt, makeup, and impurities from all the day.
- Make-up remover: if you usually wear make-up this skincare product is essential, you must remove your make-up before going to sleep.
- Moisturizer: you must hydratate, no matter your skin type.
- Serum: its main function is to leave the skin hydrated and rejuvenated, to complement the effect of creams or other cosmetic products.
- Sunscreen: when we discuss what skin care products do I need, sunscreen is a non-negotiable. It’s very important to protect your skin from UV rays and prevent premature aging.
- Eye contour: to address a good under-eye skin, an eye contour cream is essential to target puffiness and dark and fine lines.
- Toner: you can include this skin product in your routine to balance your pH levels and prepare your face for the next steps.
It’s important to mention there are other products that although they are not essential, they will help you a lot in your skincare.
- Exfoliator: ideal to remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover for a radiant complexion.
- Mask: they are intensive treatments that address specific concerns like dry skin, acne, marks.
- Lip balm: to keep your lips smooth and moisturized you have to take care of them. So, if you tend to have dry lips, you must have a balm.
What skin care products do I need for my type of skin?
We’ve already answered what skin care products you need. But the specific answer largely depends on your skin type: to improve your skin health and beauty, it’s crucial to understand your skin type and choose the right products.
First, you have to determine your skin type. It falls into several categories.
- Normal skin: not too oily nor too dry.
- Dry skin: usually feels tight, rough, or flaky.
- Oily skin: tended to be shiny, enlarged pores and acne.
- Combination skin: a mix of dry and oily areas, often with an oily T-zone.
- Sensitive skin: easily irritated, tends to redness.
- Acne-prone skin: experiences breakouts and blemishes.
After the identification of your skin type, let’s explore what skin care products you need.
- Normal Skin: you will need a gentle cleanser, a balanced moisturizer to maintain hydration and a sunscreen for daily protection. Obviously, you can add other products such as serums, eye creams and masks.
- Dry skin: you must incorporate in your skin care routine an hydrating cleanser with ingredients like shea butter, almond oil, oats. Also, a rich moisturizer with a heavy consistency and a sunscreen with added moisture.
- Oily skin: it is preferable to use a foaming cleanser with salicylic acid, an oil-free moisturizer with sebum-regulating assets, such as salicylic acid, antibacterials such as tea tree oil, and anti-inflammatories such as niacinamide, green tea, or salicylic acid itself. Conclude the skin care routine with a matte-finish sunscreen.
- Combination skin: you should look for cleaners with sebum-regulating assets, a light moisturizer and a matte-finish sunscreen.
- Sensitive skin: include a fragrance-free and hypoallergenic cleanser, a moisturizer with active principles such as ceramides, niacinamide, glycerin, oatmeal. Finish the skin care routine with a mineral-based sunscreen with zinc or titanium dioxide.
- Acne-prone skin: to fight against this skin type, you should use a cleanser with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, an oil-free moisturizer, a matte-finish sunscreen and an specific acne treatment with benzoyl peroxide, adapalene, salicylic acid.
We can help you to reply to the query of everyone when it comes to achieving and maintaining healthy skin: “What skin care products do I need?”. But it’s important to remind you that before doing a routine you have to consult with a professional.
What are the steps of the skin care products I need?
A well-structured skincare routine is the secret to achieving radiant and healthy skin. So, the issue is not only about “What skin care products do I need?”, you have to know the essential steps of a skincare routine.
- Step 1. Cleansing is the fundamental step of any skincare routine.
- Step 2. Toning is not a mandatory step in your skin care routine but you could include it to balance and prepare your skin.
- Step 3. Serums are the superheroes of your routine. Maybe you will wonder what skin care product you need: it depends on your skin type, so choose one to address specific concerns such as hydration, brightening, or anti-aging.
- Step 4. Apply a small amount of your eye cream or gel by gently patting around the eye area.
- Step 5. Moisturizing is vital to seal in hydration. Probably, the first question about this step is: “What skin care products do I need for moisturization? There are a lot of options, you must select a moisturizer suitable for your skin type. Try to choose light creams if you have oil skin and thick creams if you have dry skin.
- Step 6. Sunscreen is your best friend. It acts as a shield against harmful UV rays, preventing premature aging and reducing the risk of skin cancer. Obviously, you should skip this step at night.
With regard to exfoliation, it should not be performed periodically. You can choose between physical exfoliants (scrubs) or chemical exfoliants (containing alpha-hydroxy or beta-hydroxy acids). Exfoliating removes dead skin cells, promoting a more radiant complexion, but it’s really important to consult with a specialist.
“What skin care products do I need?” is a question that can be answered with a well-thought-out skincare routine. Consistency is key, and by adhering to these essential steps, you’ll embark on a journey to healthier, more radiant skin. Start today and revel in the beauty of your skin’s potential.