Nice company, reliable car, fuel for the trip – what else do you need for an exciting road trip around the USA? The main problem that can arise – is the age of the driver. Under 25 car rental with 14CARS.com has its specific approach, so this topic must be clarified.
Most companies provide their subordinates with cars during business trips – and yet, in about half of the cases, you have to think about renting a car yourself. To evaluate all the pros and cons, you should consider in detail the issue of renting a car in the United States. Renting has its limitations – by age, the list of required documents, and security deposits. All the nuances must be taken into account – in this case, your trip will be 100% successful. Cheap under 25 car rental – USA terms and conditions specifically – following the article to get more interesting information.
Car rental rates and necessary documents
The car rental fee is $50 per day usually, excluding Young Driver fees and insurance fees. To rent a car, at the service center you will need the following documents:
- US citizen’s passport or passport with a US visa if coming from abroad;
- Valid international driver’s license (English transliteration of the name is required to identify the document in the US database);
- Credit card to pay for the services of the rental company.
There are more than 10 car rental companies that allow under 25 drivers. Companies can be conditionally divided into three prestige classes, with corresponding pricing policies.
- Dollar. Budget company with small lists of branches;
- Thrifty. The company with one of the lowest levels of co-driver surcharges – only $10 per day.
- Budget. The most optimal option in terms of price-quality ratio – the cost of renting a middle-class car does not exceed 35-40 dollars per day;
- Alamo. A well-known company throughout the United States, with many convenient options for online booking and car rental right at the airport exit.
- Slxt. The European company has just started its expansion in the US market. Prices are lower than competitors in the premium class;
- Enterprise. A company with a developed car-sharing policy, the possibility of renting a car for the night or just for a few hours;
- Avis. It has a large fleet of American-made cars, the rental price starts from $60 per day. Its completely fine with car rental – USA – under 25, so try out;
- Hertz. One of the largest car rental companies in the world with over 10,000 branches around the world. Rental prices start at $45 per day. Works with the state of Michigan and New York, allowing to rent a car for 18-year-olds.
Car rental age requirements in the USA
In most European countries, the minimum age to rent a car is 18. Given so young age, car rental – an 18-year-old case – often involves additional expenses on security deposits as well as certain restrictions on the car park available for use.
As for the US and Canada, the minimum age to rent a car is 21. In some states, exceptions are possible – for example, in the state of New York and Michigan, the minimum age is the same as in Europe, 18 years. Car rental services for young people under the age of 25 are provided by companies such as Enterprise, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Dollar, Hertz, Advantage, ACE, Routes, Fox, and Sixt, as well as small local companies.
Why do you have to be 25 to rent a car?
First of all, age restrictions are imposed due to disappointing driving statistics with short driving experience. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, drivers under the age of 25 are, on average, one-third more likely to be involved in a traffic accident than drivers over the age of 25. Every 5 years of driving experience reduces the risk of an accident by 15%.
Car rental under 25 age is available on the site 14cars.com. However, an additional fee must be paid for young people under the age of 25. In Michigan and New York, car rental services are available to young adults aged 18 and over.
Young Driver Fee rates
The Young Driver Fee is an additional type of fee imposed when using car rental services by persons under the age of 25 years. Additional exemptions are related to statistics on the number of accidents per driver. According to statistics, young people are more likely to get into road traffic accidents. Сar rental companies are forced to charge young people a large fee to cover insurance expenses.
Most often, the additional cash fees do not exceed 15-20% and may vary depending on the state. In the states of Michigan and New York, where car rental is allowed for young people from the age of 18, the number of additional insurance fees is automatically included in the cost of services.
Private car absence can be an acute problem in the event of a business trip to another city or the need to transport things when moving. Renting a car is the best solution, given the optimal pricing policy in the United States.
Young people who love to travel or who need to use a car while working are a separate category based on traffic accident statistics. However, most tenant companies have a lower bar for cooperation with young people at 21 – as does the sale of alcohol. In Michigan and New York, the most democratic states in the country, the lower age limit for renting a car is 18 years old. The nuances and basic requirements for renting can be briefly studied in the article – do not stand still, move and live in motion. Millions of travelers will not lie – movement is the best way to pass the time.